Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor is the winner of the adult English category of the Jomo Kenyatta Prize for literature 2015 for her book Dust.
The writer has been having a good run with this her debut novel which is also in the running for the FT/Oppenheimer Fund Emerging Voices. She has gotten nominations and shortlists for this book which some (who I agree with) have described as “the Great Kenyan Novel” of our times.
There were other winners at the event hosted at the Pride Inn on Saturday evening with Senator Anyang’ Nyong’o as the guest of honour. Another favourite of ours here at JamesMurua.com Stanley Gazemba won in the English children category for his book A scare in the Village published by Oxford University Press.
The full list of winners on the night who went home with Kshs100,000 were ;
1) Adult English Category: Dust by Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor published Kwani Trust.
2) Adult Kiswahili Category: Pendo la karaha by John Habwe published by Moran Publishers(EA) Ltd.
3) Youth English Category: The Tissue Boy by Edward Mwangi published by Moran publishers(EA) Ltd.
4) Youth Kiswahili Category: Nasikia Sauti ya Mama by Ken Walibora published by Longhorn publishers.
5) English Children Category: A scare in the Village by Stanley Gazemba published by Oxford University Press.
6) Kiswahili Children Category: Ushindi wa nakate by Clara Momanyi published by Longhorn publishers.