The Writivism prize 2016 shortlists for the three prizes on offer this year has been announced today.
The prizes are The fourth Writivism Short Story Prize 2016, Kofi Addo Prize for Non Fiction 2016 and Okot P Bitek Prize for Poetry in Translation.
The fourth Writivism Short Story Prize 2016
The Short Story Prize was judged by Tsitsi Dangarembga (chair), Sumayya Lee, Richard Ali A Mutu, Okwiri Oduor and Mamadou Diallo. These judges selected the following shortlistees who are now going to be flown to Kampala for the Writivism Festival that happens from August 22, to 28, 2016.The five shortlisted short stories will be published on Munyori Literary Journal later in the week, as in previous years. The winner of the prize will get 400 US$, a one month writing residency at Stellenbosch University in South Africa and other goodies. The other shortlistees will go home with 100 US $ each. Those in the running are;
- Boyi by Gloria Mwaniga Odary (Kenya)
- SunDown by Acan Innocent Immaculate (Uganda)
- Je ne suis pas rentree by Laure Gnagbé Blédou (Ivory Coast)
- The Swahilification of Mutembei by Abu Amirah (Kenya)
- The List by Aito Osemegbe Joseph (Nigeria)
Okot P Bitek Prize for Poetry in Translation
The Poetry in Translation judging panel includes Duduzile Mabaso (chair), Juliane Bitek and Toni Stuart (on leave). Their picks for the big gong who will also be expecting an announcement at the Writivism Festival and a US$500 payday are;
- Redscar K’Oyuga (Kenya)
- Okwudili Nebeolisa (Nigeria)
- Gbenga Adesina (Nigeria)
Kofi Addo Prize for Non Fiction
The Non Fiction prize judging panel was NoViolet Bulawayo (chair), Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah and Yewande Omotoso and they chose the following to be in the running for the US$500 prize money;
- Lost Futures by S. Y. Tetteh (Ghana)
- Missing Wombs by Ama Asantewa Diaka (Ghana) 3. Another One of Those by Kofi Konadu Berko (Ghana)
Good luck to them all.