The shortlist for the “To Speak Europe In Different Languages” Literary Award was announced today, Wednesday, August 26, 2020.
“To Speak Europe In Different Languages” is a new literary award aimed at “recognizing the wounds and wonders of language, in order to endorse and enhance the border-crossing, category-defying qualities of our contemporary world.” It is organised by the European Cultural Foundation in collaboration with The Babel Review of Translations and the Asmara-Addis Literary Festival (In Exile).
The judges for the new award are Mihret kebede, Shadi Rohana, Maaza Mengiste, Sumia Jaama, and Abraham T. Zere. This panel has announced the five writers in the running for the award and they are;
- Souhail Chichah, Prendre langue [Language: French]
- Lidija Dimkovska, Кога заминав од „Карл Либкнехт“ [Language: Macedonian]
- Desta Haile, York to Teheran [Language: English]
- Asmaa Jama, Africa Is the Land of Wide Empty Spaces [Language: English/Somali]
- Yohanes Molla, መጀመሪያ ቃል ነበረ… [Language: Amharic]
The winner of the prize will be published in Specimen Press, a multilingual web-magazine which through translation gives voice to the multifaceted world, and receive a 2,000 Euros cash prize. The announcement will be made at a ceremony at “Babel. Festival of literature and translation”, Bellinzona, Switzerland on September 18, 2020.