It took a while but after many moons of preparation and other such things the Storymoja Festival 2014 is upon us. The National Museum of Kenya is starting today the epicenter of all events literature in Nairobi.
The events will be many and we shall keep you abreast of as much as I can but this is not a task for one man. To get a true fell of the festival you want to follow the official social media channels of events at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You may also follow some of the authors at the events including Jeff Koinange, Prajwal Parajuly, Teju Cole, Ladan Osman , and the rest of the gang who are in this years festival line up. Brilliant one if I say so myself. They include Wole Soyinka, Teju Cole, Kwame Dawes,, Dizreali, Dr. Kinyanjui Nganga, Biko Zulu, Sitawa Namwalie, Oyunga Pala, Prajwal Parajuly (see: http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/article-188788/authors-corner-i-climbed-mt-everest-dalai-lama-prajwal-parajuly) and more!
As for the program of events then you want to check out both the Master class program and the official program. There are many events that you can access with the festival payment. However there are a few that are called “premium events” which go a long way to raising money for books for schools. They are;
- Stories From The Mall – a theatrical tribute to the Westgate Terror Victims. Ksh 1000/.
- Githaa: Validating Dreams theatre show. Ksh 1000/.
- Afreeka! A Storymoja Stir-up. Ksh 300/. Free with festival ticket bought before 10t Sept.
- Festival Launch Gala to benefit Start-a-Library Ksh 6000/ Premium Festival ticket or 7500/ Keys to Fest ticket.
- Silence is a Woman theatre show. Ksh 1000/.
- Jaza Matatu na Vitabu music concert. Ksh 1000/ Only 800/ if bought before 10th Sept.
Let’s see you at the national museum of Kenya in Nairobi over the last few days. It’s going to be… wait for it… literary!