The Syncity NG Anniversary Anthology and Prize shortlist was announced on April 12, 2019.
Syncity NG is a platform that showcases the best of African literature to the world. It started off as a regular multi-topic blog, but embraced literature as a niche in February 2018; they would go on to cover literary events and book festivals. With the platform celebrating one year in existence, the team decided to celebrate by publishing an anthology with prizes on offer.
Submissions for the anthology and prize came from around Africa with citizens of Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Benin Republic, and Ghana making submissions. From these, a longlist was selected with 23 stories making the cut.
The team running the competition have announced the 11 stories that make the shortlist and they are;
- A Memorial Service in Honour of Our Daughter, Sister and Cousin By Frances Ogamba.
- This Too Shall Pass by Erhu Kome Yellow.
- Diagnosis by Chiedozié.
- If There Will Be a Next Time, Please Return Promptly by Nelson C.J.
- Taming the Spirit by Maureen Onyeziri.
- So Call Me Happiness by Gideon Chukwuemeka Ogbonna.
- Salt Paper by Wisani Buti Mushwana.
- Colourful Things by Godwin Uche Uwadilachi.
- Fighting Shadows by Dhee Sylvester.
- Womanhood by Mubanga Kalimamukwento.
- A Zanga Hero Never Dies By Ezeani Chuks.
These shortlisted stories will be published in Syncity NG’s forthcoming anniversary anthology. Of these, the top five stories will receive an anthology prize. Judges Mukoma Wa Ngugi and Leye Adenle will pick the first prize winner in the coming weeks.