The longlist for Short Story Day Africa 2018 has been announced.
Short Story Day Africa is a prize that recognises African short story writers while also helping to increase their skills sets with workshops across the continent. Previous winners of this prize include Tochukwu Emmanuel Okafor (2018), Sibongile Fisher (2016), Cat Hellisen (2015), Diane Awerbuck (2014), and Okwiri Oduor (2013).
This year’s prize kicked off with the organisers making a call out for short stories that follow the general theme of “Hotel Africa.” Some of those who were deemed to have submitted stories with potential were invited to workshops across Africa before the team sat down and sifted through the workshopped work.
The 2018 Short Story Day Africa longlist is;
- The Satans Inside My Jimmy by Harriet Anena (Uganda).
- The Jollof Cook-off by Nkiacha Atemnkeng (Cameroon).
- The Last Resident by Jayne Bauling (South Africa).
- Mr Thompson by Noel Cheruto (Kenya).
- The Layover by Anna Degenaar (South Africa).
- A Miracle In Valhalla by Nnamdi Fred (Nigeria).
- Of Birds and Bees by Davina Kawuma (Uganda).
- Maintenance Check by Alinafe Malonje (Malawi).
- Why Don’t You Live in the North? by Wamuwi Mbao (South Africa).
- Slow Road to the Winburg Hotel’ by Paul Morris (South Africa).
- The Snore Monitor by Chido Muchemwa (Zimbabwe).
- Outside Riad Dahab by Chourouq Nasri (Morocco).
- Broken English by Adorah Nworah (Nigeria).
- Queens’ Children’s Little Feet by Godwin Oghenero Estella (Nigeria).
- Door of No Return by Natasha Omokhodion-Banda (Zambia).
- An Abundance of Lies by Faith Oneya (Kenya).
- The Match by Troy Onyango (Kenya).
- Supping at the Fountain of Lethe by Bryony Rheam (Zimbabwe).
- Happy City Hotel by Adam El Shalakany (Egypt).
- The Space (s) Between Us by Lester Walbrugh (South Africa).
- Shithole by Michael Yee (South Africa).
The shortlist and winner will be announced in due course.