The winners of the Sheikh Zayed Book Award 2022 in several categories were announced on Monday, May 9, 2022.
The Sheikh Zayed Book Award is presented to Arab writers, intellectuals, and publishers as well as young talents whose writings and translations of humanities have scholarly and objectively enriched Arab cultural, literary and social life. The categories handed out are Cultural Personality of the Year, Children’s Literature, Young Author, Contribution to the Development of Nations, Translation, Literature, Literary and Art Criticism, Arab Culture in Other Languages, and Publishing and Technology. The award winners get a gold medal, a certificate of merit, and 750,000 dirhams.
Dr Ali bin Tamim, Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Arabic Language Centre and Secretary-General of the Sheikh Zayed Book Award, said: “We are delighted to have had another record-breaking year of submissions which included rigorous research, creative authorship and authoritative publishing and programming. The work of this year’s laureates present remarkable intellectual, linguistic, and creative diversity and point to a thriving contemporary Arab literary scene. We are particularly pleased to showcase winners representing 7 countries around the world and to support Arabic culture on the world stage, by recognising and promoting the global advancement of Arabic literature and culture in both Arabic and non-Arabic languages.”
The winners of the awards for 2022 are;
- Maq’ha Reesh, Ain Ala Massr (Eye on Egypt: Café Riche) (Nahdet Misr Publishing (2021), Maisoon Saqer (UAE)
Arabic Culture in Other Languages
- The Arabian Nights in Contemporary World Cultures: Global Commodification, Translation, and the Culture Industry (Cambridge University Press, 2021), Dr. Muhsin J. Al-Musawi (USA)
- Loghz al Kora al Zujajiya (The Mystery of the Glass Ball) (Dar Al Saqi in 2021), Maria Daadoush (Syria)
- Al Badawa fi al She’er al Arabi al Qadeem (Bedouinism in Ancient Arabic Poetry) by Dr. Mohamed Al-Maztouri (Tunisia), issued by the Faculty of Literature, Arts and Humanities at Manouba University and the GLD Foundation (Al-Atrash Complex for Specialised Books) in 2021
- Nash’at al Insaniyat Einda al Muslimeen wa fi al Gharb al Maseehi (The Rise of Humanism in Classical Islam and the Christian West) (Madarat for Research and Publishing, 2021), by the late George Makdisi, English into Arabic, Dr. Ahmed Aladawi (Egypt)
Literary & Art Criticism
- Al Sarid wa Taw’am al Rooh: Min al Tamtheel ila al Istinaa’ (The Narrator and the Soulmate: From Acting to Faking) (Le Centre Culturel du Livre, 2021), Mohamed Aldahi (Morocco)
Publishing & Technology
- The Bibliotheca Alexandrina (Egypt),
The awards will be presented at a ceremony at the Louvre Abu Dhabi on May 24, which coincides with the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair (May 23-29, 2022).