Sheikh Zayed Book Award 2022 shortlists in literature, Emerging Author, and Children’s-lit Categories were announced on March 17, 2022.
The Sheikh Zayed Book Award is presented yearly to Arab writers, intellectuals, and publishers as well as young talent whose writings and translations of humanities have scholarly and objectively enriched Arab cultural, literary and social life. The categories handed out are Cultural Personality of the Year, Children’s Literature, Young Author, Contribution to the Development of Nations, Translation, Literature, Literary and Art Criticism, Arab Culture in Other Languages, and Publishing and Technology. The award winners get a gold medal, a certificate of merit, and 750,000 dirhams.
For 2022, Fifteen titles made it onto the longlists announced on December 7, 2021 from a total of 852 submissions in the literature, Emerging Author, and Children’s-lit Categories. On Thursday, they announced the shortlists for the awards and the following African writers made the cut;
- Ghorbat Al Manazil (Strangers at Home) by Ezzat Elkamhawy (Egypt), published by Al Dar Al Masriah Al Lubnaniah in 2021.
- Wa Tahmelany Hayraty Wa Dh’anony. Seerat Altakween (Composition Biog-raphy: Thoughts and Confusion Carry Me) by Said Bengrad (Morocco), published by Le Centre Culturel Du Livre in 2021.
- Al Kaa’in al Balaghi al Lugha wal Aaql wal Istita’a fi Kitab ‘Al Bayan wal Tabyeen (Rhetorical Object: Language, Reason, and Ability in the Book ‘Al-Bayan wal-Tabyeen’) by Mustafa Rajwan (Morocco), published by Dar Kunouz Al Maarifa for publication and distribution in 2021;
- Al Badawa fi al She’er al Arabi al Qadeem (Bedouinism in Ancient Arabic Poetry) by Dr. Mohamed Al-Maztouri (Tunisia), issued by the Faculty of Literature, Arts and Humanities at Manouba University and the GLD Foundation (Al-Atrash Complex for Specialised Books) in 2021
- Maw’idi maa al Noor (My Date with the Light) by Raja Mellah (Morocco), published by Al Mu’allif for publishing, printing, and distribution in 2021.
The Sheikh Zayed Book Award will announce the shortlists of its other categories over the coming weeks.