Novuyo Rosa Tshuma is on the Rathbones Folio Prize 2019 longlist announced today March 18, 2019.
The Rathbones Folio Prize, formerly known as the Folio Prize, is a literary award that was sponsored by the London-based publisher The Folio Society for its first two years of 2014-2015. In December 2016, the prize announced that its new sponsor would be Rathbone Investment Management Ltd; the first Rathbones Folio Prize was awarded in May 2017. In the four year run of the award, only one African writer has been shortlisted; Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor for Dust in 2015.
The 2019 edition of the prize is upon us and this year the prize judges are Chloe Aridjis, Kate Clanchy, and Owen Sheers. The three will next decide on a shortlist of eight titles, to be announced on Thursday, April 4, 2019. Those who have made the longlist are;
- House of Stone, Novuyo Rosa Tshuma (Atlantic).
- Can You Tolerate This, Ashleigh Young (Bloomsbury).
- The Crossway, Guy Stagg (Picador).
- Francis: A Life in Songs, Ann Wroe (Cape).
- Ghost Trees, Bob Gilbert (Saraband).
- I Am Dynamite!, Sue Prideaux (Faber).
- Land of the Living, Georgina Harding (Bloomsbury).
- The Library of Ice, Nancy Campbell (Scribner).
- Little, Edward Carey (Aardvark Bureau).
- Mary Ann Sate, Imbecile, Alice Jolly (Unbound).
- Milkman, Anna Burns (Faber).
- Mothers, Chris Power (Faber).
- Murmur, Will Eaves (CB Editions).
- Normal People, Sally Rooney (Faber).
- Ordinary People, Diana Evans (Chatto & Windus).
- The Perseverance, Raymond Antrobus (Penned In The Margins).
- Red Birds, Mohammed Hanif (Bloomsbury).
- There There, Tommy Orange (Harvill Secker).
- Us, Zaffar Kunial (Faber).
- West, Carys Davies (Granta).
Novuyo Rosa Tshuma’s House of Stone recently won the Edward Stanford Travel Writing Award 2019.
The winner of the Rathbones Folio Prize worth £30,000 will be announced at a gala ceremony in London, UK on Monday 20 May 2019.
Update: The winner of the prize announced on May 20, 2019 was The Perseverance by Raymond Antrobus (Penned In The Margins).