The shortlists for the Nommo Awards 2021 were announced to the public by the African Speculative Fiction Society on Saturday, May 29, 2021.
The African Speculative Fiction Society introduced The Nommo Awards to celebrate writing known in other markets as magical realism, Sci-Fi, horror, and graphic novels in 2016. Since then, writers from across the African literary family have been feted with these awards in 2017, in 2018, In 2019, and in 2020.
The longlist for the 2021 edition were presented to the Nommo Awards voters in the categories of Novels, Novellas, Graphic Novels, and Short Story on May 13. The shortlists were then revealed on Saturday and they are;
The Ilube Nommo Award for Best Speculative Fiction Novel by an African
- Akwaeke Emezi, THE DEATH OF VIVEK OJI
- Nikhil Singh, CLUB DED
- Stephen Embleton, SOUL SEARCHING
- ALEX, Anna Mbale (writer) and Mwiche Songolo (artist) – Black Hut Comics
- BLACK SHEEP, Mwiche Songolo (writer & artist) – Black Hut Comics
- ..Quinto Collab (various writers & artists), MaThoko’s Books, an imprint of GALA Queer Archive
- MOONGIRLS, Nana Akosua Hanson (writer) AnimaxFYB Studios (art) – Ghana Drama Queens Collective
- NEW MEN, Murewa Ayodele (writer) and Dotun Akande (artist) – Collectible Comics.
- TITAN, Mazuba Chimbeza (writer & artist) – Black Hut Comics.
- David A Atta, GUARDIANS: THE AWAKENING
- Dilman Dila, A FLEDGLING ABIBA
- Ekpeki Oghenechovwe Donald, IFE-IYOKU: THE TALE OF IMADEYUNUAGBON
- Tlotlo Tsamaase, THE SILENCE OF THE WILTING SKIN
- Tochi Onyebuchi, RIOT BABY
- Innocent Chizaram Ilo, RAT AND FINCH ARE FRIENDS
- T L Huchu, EGOLI
- Tiah Marie Beautement, THE BEND OF WATER
- Tlotlo Tsamaase, BEHIND OUR IRISES
- Tobi Ogundiran, THE GOATKEEPER’S HARVEST
Members of the African Speculative Society will now vote for their favourites who will be crowned winners; the announcement is typically made at the Ake Awards. They have until August 31 to vote.