Fiction writer Nathaniel Z. Mpofu, nonfiction writer Pofela Ndzozi and poet ASA won big at the Bulawayo Arts Awards 2018. The Awards were given at a ceremony in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe on Saturday May 26, 2018.
The Bulawayo Arts Awards also known as the Roil Byo Arts Awards recognise and honour exceptional individuals and collaborative artistic efforts in the city of Bulawayo, Matabeleland North and South in Zimbabwe. The awards are given in music, theatre, dance, literary arts, poetry, comedy, fashion, film, visual arts, and media with those born in Bulawayo and practicing art around the world eligible to enter.
The inaugural edition of the awards was held on the 30th of June 2017 at The Large City Hall in Bulawayo. At that event, the only person who was recognised for the literary arts was Philani A. Nyoni for his title Mars, His Sword.
The 2018 edition of the awards recognised more of the literary arts and there were nominations in fiction, nonfiction and poetry. The nominees and the winners for this year’s edition, in bold, are listed below.
- Akuqili Elazikhotha Indololwane– Mihla Sitsha Tsheza.
- Inkless Quils– Nathaniel Z. Mpofu.
- The Other Side– Ericah Gwetai.
- Before l became a billionaire– Marshal Chiza.
- Welshman Hadane Mabhena – Pathisa Nyathi and Marieke Fber Clarke.
- Perspective on Campus Culture– Pofela Ndzozi.
- Tinashe Tafirenyika