Laila Lalami’s novel The Other Americans is on the fiction longlist for the US National Book Awards 2019 announced on September 20, 2019. Also on the list are Marlon James and Colson Whitehead.
The US National Book Foundation presents the National Book Awards and two-lifetime achievement awards to authors every November. The awards are handed out in the categories of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, translated literature, and young people’s literature.
The longlists for the 2019 edition of the prize have been announced this week with Akwaeke Emezi’s Pet in the young people’s category and Scholastique Mukasonga’s The Barefoot Woman in the translated literature category. The longlist announced today features Laila Lalami’s The Other Americans which was shortlisted for the Kirkus Prize earlier in the week. Also on the longlist are Colson Whitehead’s The Nickel Boys and Marlon James’ Black Leopard, Red Wolf.
The full fiction longlist is;
- Taffy Brodesser-Akner, Fleishman Is in Trouble, Random House / Penguin Random House.
- Susan Choi, Trust Exercise Henry, Holt & Company / Macmillan Publishers.
- Kali Fajardo-Anstine, Sabrina & Corina: Stories, One World / Penguin Random House.
- Marlon James, Black Leopard, Red Wolf, Riverhead Books / Penguin Random House.
- Laila Lalami, The Other Americans, Pantheon Books / Penguin Random House.
- Kimberly King Parsons, Black Light: Stories, Vintage / Penguin Random House.
- Helen Phillips, The Need, Simon & Schuster.
- Julia Phillips, Disappearing Earth, Alfred A. Knopf / Penguin Random House.
- Ocean Vuong, On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous, Penguin Press / Penguin Random House.
- Colson Whitehead, The Nickel Boys, Doubleday / Penguin Random House.
The National Book Foundation will announce the shortlist on October 8 then the winners will be revealed at the National Book Awards ceremony and benefit dinner on November 20 in New York City, USA.