The shortlists for the Isele Prizes 2022, the first edition, were announced on Monday, March 21, 2022.
The Isele Prize celebrates the best of short stories, poetry, and essays by writers published in the Ukamaka Olisakwe founded Isele Magazine. The prizes are split into three categories – short stories, poetry, and essays, and each category is judged by a panel of two judges.
The longlisted entries, which will appear in the annual print project – The Best of Isele Anthology were announced on January 21 before the shortlists were been revealed. Those still in the running are;
The Isele Short Story Prize
- The Year of the Sun, Esther Ifesinachi Okonkwo
- Right, by Rilla Askew
- Sunset Dreams, Troy Onyango
- Souvenir, Roseline Mgbodichinma
- The Children of No 39 Faulks Street, Innocent Chizaram Ilo
- The Only One I Have Not Lost, Dennis Mugaa
The Isele Poetry Prize
- Two Poems, Romeo Oriogun
- Four Poems, Joanna George
- there’s more and Two Poems, Uchechukwu Peter Umezurike
- Three Poems, Kelli Russell Agodon
- Three Poems, Chisom Okafor
The Isele Nonfiction Prize
- Serengeti Saga, Sylvia K. Ilahuka
- Sense of Touch, Nora Nneka
- Feeling Your Way Home, Uche Osondu
- Adjuncts in the Age of the Coronavirus, Frances Cannon
- The Feminine and the Oracular, Itiola Jones
The winners are revealed at a ceremony on April 26, 2022.