The Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2018 winners were announced with a ceremony in Yantai, China on May 26. The biggest winners were South African Nompumelelo Mowebu and Motswana Ednah Rosen.
The Gourmand Awardsm started in 1995 for cookbooks and wine books at Frankfurt Book Fair, are the major Food Culture event in the world. They now include all Food Culture content. They are open to all, big or small, print or digital, for sale or for free, with or without ISBN, trade or self-published, private or public, in any language.
There was a slew of African writers in the running for the most prestigious awards in writing for the cooking in the shortlists announced on February. The winners were to be announced later in the year and there were winners who emerged in late May.
The biggest winner on the evening had to be Nompumelelo Mowebu who won in the Self Published Cookbook category for her entry Through The Eyes of an Africa Chef. The book features traditional African classics as well as recipes using African ingredients but with a modern twist. Also in the winning column was Ednah Rosen who won the African Cuisine Category for Taste of Botswana. In her category she beat Longthroat Memoirs by Yemisi Aribisala and Breakfast With The King by Jasmine Macharia.
Apart from the wins, there were also some third places that were registered with JHP Gourmet Guide by Jenny Handley in the professional category. Also coming third joint in the TV Celebrity Chef in English category were Breakfast with the King by Jasmine Macharia and Butter and Love by Anna Carolina Alberts.
Here is the full list of the winners and those who made the cut.
- Through The Eyes of an Africa Chef – Nompumelelo Mowebu
- Taste of Botswana – Ednah Rosen (Rosen Media) (Botswana).
- Longthroat Memoirs – Yemisi Aribisala (Cassava Republic) (Nigeria).
- Breakfast With The King – Jasmine Macharia (Kenya).
Best African Cookbook Published Outside Africa.
- Best Mauritian Cuisine – Madeline and Clancy Philippe. (Mauritius).
- Angolan African Recipes Cuisine – Patricia Pascoal (Angola).
- Explore the Kenyan Kitchen – Mary Plancherel (Kenya).
- JHP Gourmet Guide – Jenny Handley (South Africa).
TV Celebrity Chef in English
- Breakfast with the King – Jasmine Macharia (Kenya).
- Butter and Love – Anna Carolina Alberts (Quivertree) (South Africa).