The shortlist for those in the running for the Ghana Writers Awards 2017 have been announced.
Last year the first Ghana Writers Awards were hosted in Accra with the best in the writing in the West African nation feted. In that ceremony, Dr Michael Osei Agyapong won the Ananse Prize for Literature winner, Bawa Sadique Anyame won the poetry category while Rachel Lawerh won the short story category.
This year’s shortlist has been announced by the judges of the Ghana Writers Awards 2017. Five categories of literary genres are being considered for the 2017 Ghana Writers Awards. They include Short Story, Poetry, Literature Blog, Topic-given poetry contest on galamsey and Spoken Word.
The awards is on the theme: “My art my life: creating more opportunities for the youth in the literary arts industry in Ghana”.
The full list of those in the running for the awards are;
- University of Hard Knocks – Philip Arko Ewusi
- Liberia Woman – Samuel Owusu Achiaw
- Prayer Mongers – Nana Yaa Asantewaa
- Asante Faded Beauty – Robert Owuodihia
- Incapacitated – Nana Ama Gyemaah Otuahene
- The Sound Of Silence – Ruby Yayra Goka Serebour – Serebour Badu Prosper
- The Piano Phone – Logoh Selorm Philip
- Gentle Lucifer – Mohammed Shamsu-deen.
- A Thousand Mystics— Kofi Acquah
- A Letter to My Oppressor – Emmanuel Agyei-Poku
- That Jesus Name – Adjei-Arthur Bonsu
- The Plight of a House Help – Gabla Godwin
- Africa of Old – Sackey Anthony Djaba
- Little Black Children – Gayi Eyram C.
- An Elegy for Awonoor – Abelumkeamah Bertrand Azags
- A Toil In The Dark –Kwao Jonathan Tetteh
- Of Our Land – Ekow Dodd
- The Making of Silence – Nana Karikari Akyempo Prempeh
- Celestine Nudanu – https://readinpleasure.wordpress.com
- The Creative Arts Society – http://thecreatars.wordpress.com/wordpress.com (since deleted).
Poetry on Galamsey
- Dig Deeper – Yvette D. Adusei
- The Dying Digger – Kweku Taylor
- The Cry of the Land – Maame Akua Akyea Kodua
The award ceremony will take place on Saturday, October 28 at Christ the King Parish Hall, opposite Flagstaff House in Accra.