The winners of the Ghana Association of Writers Literary Awards 2021 were announced at a ceremony in Accra on December 16, 2021.
The Ghana Association of Writers Literary Awards, first held in 1987, were instituted to honour Ghanaian literary excellence and to celebrate the outstanding efforts made by writers. They went on a hiatus until 2017 to commemorate both Ghana Association of Writers and Ghana’s sixty years of statehood. Since then, the awards hosted in 2017, in 2018, and in 2019 have shone a light on some of the best writing coming from the West African nation. They were cancelled because of a global pandemic in 2020.
From the shortlists, the winners were announced at a ceremony at the Omanye Aba Hall at the AMA Auditorium in Accra. The winners for 2021 are;
- The Shrinking Bowl, Gheysika Adombire Agambila.
- She Rescues and Other Stories, Genevieve Delali
- The Dedicadas: A Chapbook, Reinfred Dziedzorm Addo.
Children’s Story book
- Trotro Trio Book 1: A Blast To The Past, Ruby Yayra Goka
- Paying My Debt, Daniel Owusu Koranteng
Spoken Word (Video/Audio)
- Where I come From, Nana Fredua-Agyeman Jnr
Ghanaian Language Special Award
- Me Kristosom Abrabo Ho Anwense, Ernest Perbi-Asare
Science and Mathematics Special Writers Award
- Unravelling the Essentials of Health and Wealth, Dr Kojo Cobba Essel.
On winning the award Ruby Yayra Goka said, “Thank you Ghana Association of Writers! This is specially dedicated to all my readers. Copies of the book are available at BookNook Book Store and at Vidya Bookstore. Merry Christmas everyone!”
Gheysika Adombire Agambila shared an image on Facebook and said, “Sharing this evening’s good news at the 5th Ghana Association of Writers Literary Awards.”
Watch the full ceremony by clicking here.