The Golden Baobab has announced its judges for the 2014 Golden Baobab Prizes. Its about time. The prize was established to inspire the writing and publishing of African stories that captivate the minds of children, the prizes award $20,000 to talented African writers and illustrators. It also offers publishing and training opportunities to its honorees.
The 2014 judges are:
- Doreen Baingana – Multiple award-winning Ugandan author, Former chairperson FEMRITE
- Summer Edward – Anansesem Caribbean Children’s Literature Ezine founder and editor, Children’s publishing consultant
- Nancy Drost – Seasoned international educator, Golden Baobab board member
- Kinna Likimani – Mbaasem Foundation board member, Celebrated book critic (kinnareads.com)
- Nonikiwe Mashologu – African children’s literature critic, South African literacy activist
- Kanengo Diallo -13-year old Tanzanian winner of the 2013 Golden Baobab Prize for Rising Writers
- Paul O. Zelinsky – International Award-winning American Illustrator and Writer, Caldecott Medalist
- Akua Peprah – Early Childhood Educator
- Kofi Kokua Asante Anyimadu – 8-year old Ghanaian book lover
I like that children are on the judging panel as the books are targetted at them. They include 14 year old Kanengo Diallo who is a former winner of the prize who is joined by 8 year old lover Kofi Kokua Asante Anyimadu. Fellow book critic Kinna Likimani (kinnareads.com) also gets a shot at deciding who goes home with the dosh.
Deborah Ahenkorah the Executive Director of Golden Baobab was pleased with the new judges; “We are excited about working with our 2014 judges to discover and celebrate some of the best children’s story writers and illustrators in Africa today.”
The winners of the Golden Baobab Prizes will be who will be announced on November 13, 2014.