Chris Adwar and Kagayi Ngobi were the featured guests at Goethe Kenya’s Artistic Encounters on April 24, 2019.
In Artistic Encounters, two artists of different genres meet and create an art experience of their combined work then share it with the audience. The popular series founded in 2017 by author and publisher Zukiswa Wanner has had Nairobians sample artistic encounters from Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, Germany, and The Gambia.
The second running of this series for 2019 featured Ugandan poet Kagayi Ngobi (Peter Kagayi) and musician Chris Adwar. Kagayi is a performance poet and author of The Headline That Morning and Other Poems (Sooo Many Stories (UG), 2016). Adwar is a musician, producer, as well as musical director and front man of “The Villagers Band.” He has worked with some of the best Kenyan musicians as a producer, arranger, and musician.
The evening was kicked off by series curator Zukiswa Wanner who welcomed the audience to enjoy the show and the two began a performance that weaved between their work that was extremely well received. You can watch the 45-minute performance that I captured on my trusty cellphone.
With the performance having run its delicious course, the two would be engaged by Zukiswa Wanner about their work and their process individually as well as for the show that they gave to us. You can watch that Q&A session also recorded on my trusty cellphone below.
After the discussions, audience members would get a chance to buy CDs and books from the two artists and have them signed.
Below are images from the event by Julian Manjahi courtesy of the Goethe Institut.
Check out the previous editions of the series below.
- Artist Victor Ehikhamenor and poet Koleka Putuma.
- Trumpeter Christine Kamau and poet Philipp Khabo Koepsell.
- Novelist Lola Shoneyin and storyteller Maimouna Jallow.
- Author Angela Makholwa and actress Patricia Kihoro.
- Novelist, short story writer, and academic Pede Hollist and actress Hana Kafela.
- Mbira player Prudence Katomeni and poet Adipo Sidang’.
- Novelist Niq Mhlongo and actor Nick Ndeda.
- Spoken word artist Ngartia and novelist Olumide Popoola.
- Nigerian poet Dami Ajayi and Kenyan musician Makadem.
- Actors Sitawa Namwalie and Shan Bartley alongside author Yewande Omotoso.
- Novelist Shadreck Chikoti and actor and spoken word artist Abu Sense.
2 replies on “Chris Adwar, Kagayi Ngobi’s day at Goethe Kenya’s Artistic Encounters.”
[…] In 2019, the series started in March with novelist and publisher Shadreck Chikoti and actor and spoken word poet Abu Sense followed in April by poet Kagayi Peter and musician Chris Adwar. […]
[…] Musician Chris Adwar and poet Kagayi Ngobi […]