The longlists of the Brooklyn Caribbean Literary Festival’s Elizabeth Nunez Awards 2022 were announced on Friday, July 29, and Saturday, July 30, 2022.
The Brooklyn Caribbean Literary Festival (BCLF) is a celebration of culture as expressed through the pen of the storyteller and the voice of the poet founded in 2019. It is designed to facilitate vibrant conversations about Caribbean identity via a series of readings of classic and contemporary stories, podcasts, and conversations.
One of the festival’s most popular features is the writing competitions geared towards unearthing and encouraging the distinctive voice and story of the Caribbean-descended writer and expanding the creative writing landscape of Caribbean literature. The two are the BCLF Elizabeth Nunez Caribbean-American Writers’ Prize and BCLF Elizabeth Nunez Award for Writers in the Caribbean. Patrice Grell Yursik and Akhim Alexis won the awards in 2021.
BCLF Short Fiction Story Contest 2022
Judges: Ayesha Gibson-Gill and Tanya Savage-Batson.
- Lynette Hazel, 02.12.20 (Jumbie Make to Walk the Road) (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Charmaine Rousseau, A Real Place (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Kellie Martine Magnus, One for the Books (Jamaica)
- Kwame Weekes, Green Thumb (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Sara Bastian, The Girl With Your Grandmother’s Eyes (Bahamas)
- Patti-Anne Ali, Marley in a Maxi (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Alicia Valasse-Polius, Beekeepers (St Lucia)
- Cosmata Lindie, Starchild (Guyana)
- Vishala Christopher, Jumbie Like Long Hair (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Yesha Townsend, Fishing (Bermuda)
- Caroline Mackenzie, Girls in the Dark (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Gregory Anderson Fitt, Don’t Cry Precious Baby (Barbados)
- Rachael Espinet, Davindra and the buck (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Yakima Cuffy, The Eleventh (Dominica/St Kitts & Nevis)
- Callie Browning, The Science of Garbage (Barbados)
- Lisa Allen-Agostini, Meeting Beverley Jones (Trinidad & Tobago
- #Kirk Bhajan, The La Diablesse of Ecclessville (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Alexia Tolas, The Fix (Bahamas)
- Tonia Revers, Hear Yah Now: Conversations (Jamaica)
- Martin Michael Boyce, In the Secrets Place (Barbados)
- Stacy Ann Williams-Smith, Rio Cobre (Jamaica)
BCLF Elizabeth Nunez Caribbean-American Writer’s Prize
Judges: D. Ulysse (Haiti) and Ifeona Fulani (Jamaica)
- Jazz Sanchez, Cock Soup (Jamaica)
- Amaris Castillo, El Don (Dominican Republic)
- Rachelle J .Gray, Peter 3:15 (Barbados)
- Elizabeth Best, Soup on Sunday -(Barbados)
- Keishel Ali, Uniform (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Elesa Chan, Jumbie (Guyana)
- Catherine Esther Cowie, Who Wants To Look Like a Frenchman? (St Lucia)
- Marilyn Henriquez, Devil’s Hole (Nicaragua)
- Tricia Chin, Genesis, (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Yvika Pierre, Nadege goes Home (Haiti)
The shortlist and winners will be announced later in the year.