The Brittle Paper Persons of the Year 2022 were revealed on Sunday, December 22, 2022.
In 2010, Brittle Paper was started by Nigeria-born USA-based academic Ainehi Edoro-Glines as a new voice in an African literary space that was then starting to show itself on the world stage.
In 2015, the platform set up the Brittle Paper African Literary Person of the Year to celebrate a literary personality who elevates African literary culture in outstanding ways. The winners in previous years have been Nnedi Okorafor (2015), Petina Gappah (2016), Lola Shoneyin (2017), Bibi Bakare-Yusuf (2018), Ellah Wakatama Allfrey (2019), and Zukiswa Wanner (2020).
For 2021, the platform opted to share the love revealing outstanding personalities in the categories of African Literary Person of the Year, Writer-Activist of the Year, Academic of the Year, Publishing House of the Year, Literary Platform of the Year, and Social Media Influencer of the Year.
For 2022, they continue on this tradition revealing the following as their persons of the year;
The Brittle Paper Persons of the Year 2021 are:
- African Literary Person of the Year: Prof. Kwame Dawes
- Writer-Activist of the Year: Tsitsi Dangarembga
- Academic of the Year: Prof. Pumla Dineo Gqola
- Publishing House of the Year: Blackbird Books
- Literary Platform of the Year: Afritondo
- Social Media Influencer of the Year: Amyn Bawa-Allah (@Lipglossmaffia)