The Brittle Paper Persons of the Year 2020 were revealed on December 7, 2020.
In 2010, Brittle Paper was started by Nigeria-born USA-based academic Ainehi Edoro-Glines as a new voice in an African literary space that was starting to show itself on the world stage.
In 2015, the platform set up the Brittle Paper African Literary Person of the Year to celebrate a literary personality who elevates African literary culture in outstanding ways. The winners in previous years have been Nnedi Okorafor (2015), Petina Gappah (2016), Lola Shoneyin (2017), Bibi Bakare-Yusuf (2018), and Ellah Wakatama Allfrey (2019).
For 2020, the platform which is celebrating a decade, announced the outstanding personalities in the categories of African Literary Person of the Year, Writer-Activist of the Year, Academic of the Year, Publishing House of the Year, Literary Platform of the Year, and Social Media Influencer of the Year.
The Brittle Paper Persons of the Year 2020 are:
- African Literary Person of the Year: ZUKISWA WANNER
- Writer-Activist of the Year: MONA ELTAHAWY
- Academic of the Year: ATO QUAYSON
- Publishing House of the Year: HUZA PRESS
- Literary Platform of the Year: DOEK!
- Social Media Influencer of the Year: SARAH OZO-IRABOR
To read more about the winners and the citations for their wins please click here.