Bernardine Evaristo’s Girl, Woman, Other is on the longlist for the Women’s Prize for Literature 2020 announced on March 3, 2020.
The Women’s Prize for Fiction started in 1996, is one of the United Kingdom’s most prestigious literary prizes. It is awarded annually to a female author of any nationality for the best original full-length novel written in English and published in the United Kingdom in the preceding year. Previous winners of the prize include Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Zadie Smith and Ali Smith.
- Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara.
- Fleishman is in Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner.
- Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams.
- Dominicana by Angie Cruz.
- Actress by Anne Enright.
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo.
- Nightingale Point by Luan Goldie.
- A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes.
- How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee.
- The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo.
- The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel.
- Girl by Edna O’ Brien.
- Hamnet by Maggie O’ Farrell.
- Weather by Jenny Offill.
- The Dutch House by Ann Patchett.
- Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson
Bernardine Evaristo was delighted with the listing stating on her Twitter; “So thrilled to make this year’s @WomensPrize longlist alongside such a variety of amazing authors. Mz Evaristo is feeling very blessed these days. #WomensPrize.”
— Bernardine Evaristo (@BernardineEvari) March 3, 2020
The 16 books will be whittled down to a shortlist of 6 novels that will be announced on April 22; the 25th winner of the Women’s Prize for Fiction will be announced on Wednesday June 3.