Alamin Somo and John-Dennis Renken’s performance at the Artistic Encounters thrilled the audience at the Goethe-Institut, Nairobi on October 30, 2019. The evening was moderated by book blogger James Murua.
Since 2017, Nairobi audiences have had the opportunity to observe some of the leading artists from across the African continent and beyond. At “Artistic Encounters,” created and curated by publisher and author Zukiswa Wanner, two artists of different genres meet and create an art experience of their combined work then share it at the Goethe-Institut. In the last three years, there have been shows by artists from Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Botswana, Germany, South Africa, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Eritrea, and Sierra Leone.
The featured artists for October’s edition of Artistic Encounters were poet Alamin Somo and trumpeter John-Dennis Renken. Alamin Somo, a presenter at Radio Salaam based in Mombasa, is a leading Kiswahili poet with the poetry collections Malenga Wa Mombasa (2011), Sauti Ya Shangwe (2012), and Ambari (2014) as well as two CDs. John-Dennis Renken is a musician who lives in Essen, Germany who plays the trumpet and also has several CDs to his name. The audience was treated to the combination of the best of Swahili poetry interspersed with music from one of Germany’s leading trumpeters.
Here are videos and images from the event at the Goethe-Institut. Images by Julian Manjahi are courtesy of the Goethe-Institut and videos by James Murua.
Check out the previous editions of the series below.
- Artist Victor Ehikhamenor and poet Koleka Putuma.
- Trumpeter Christine Kamau and poet Philipp Khabo Koepsell.
- Novelist Lola Shoneyin and storyteller Maimouna Jallow.
- Author Angela Makholwa and actress Patricia Kihoro.
- Novelist, short story writer, and academic Pede Hollist and actress Hana Kafela.
- Mbira player Prudence Katomeni and poet Adipo Sidang’.
- Novelist Niq Mhlongo and actor Nick Ndeda.
- Spoken word artist Ngartia and novelist Olumide Popoola.
- Poet Dami Ajayi and musician Makadem.
- Actors Sitawa Namwalie and Shan Bartley alongside author Yewande Omotoso.
- Novelist Shadreck Chikoti and actor and spoken word artist Abu Sense.
- Musician Chris Adwar and poet Kagayi Ngobi
- Poet Ngwatilo Mawiyoo and guitarist Tomeletso Sereetsi
- Poet Sitawa Namwalie and pianist Athieno.