The shortlist for the Afritondo Short Story Prize 2022 was made public on Friday, March 4, 2022.
Afritondo, a platform that aims to connect with and tell the stories of African and black minority populations across the globe, is the founder of the Afritondo Short Story Prize. Previous winners have been Jarred Thompson and Desta Haile.
The judging panel for the award for 2022, announced on September 16, comprises Pemi Aguda, Masande Ntshanga, and Natasha Omokhodion-Banda. From the 367 submissions from 24 countries this panel selected 16 stories with the help of a team of readers. The longlist was announced on January 31 before the shortlist was revealed.
Those still in the running are;
- Dadima’s Key Ring, Sabah Carrim (Mauritius)
- Grotto, Howard Meh-Buh (Cameroon)
- Walls Don’t Remember, Humans Do, Raheem Omeiza (Nigeria)
- Rain Dance, Lynsey Ebony Chutel (South Africa)
- A Girl Is Blood, Spirit, and Fire, Somtochukwu Ihezue (Nigeria)
The winner for this prize will be announced in April and an anthology of the longlist is expected in the summer.