The shortlist for the Afritondo Short Story Prize 2021 was announced on March 3, 2021.
Afritondo, a new platform that aims to connect with and tell the stories of African and black minority populations across the globe, is the founder of the Afritondo Short Story Prize. The first winner of the prize was South African writer Jarred Thompson.
The judging panel for the award for 2021 announced on September 30, 2020, comprises Edwige-Renée Dro, Kiprop Kimutai, and Maneo Mohale. On January 27, they announced the longlist for the competition from the 363 entries from 20 countries.
On Wednesday, they revealed the shortlist and those still in the running are;
- Joshua Chizoma – Collector of memories (Nigeria)
- Rémy Ngamije – The Hope, The Prayer, And The Anthem (or, The Fall So Far) (Namibia)
- Desta Haile – Ethio-Cubano (UK/Eritrea)
- Faraaz Mahomed – Gracious (South Africa)
- Justin Clement – Human cities (Nigeria)
The winner will be revealed in due course.