There are several Africans on the longlist of the Rathbone Folio Prize 2021 announced today, January 20, 2021.
The Rathbones Folio Prize is a literary award currently sponsored by Rathbone Investment Management that first ran in 2014–2015. Previous winners have been George Saunders, Akhil Sharma, Hisham Matar, Richard Lloyd Parry, Raymond Antrobus, and Valeria Luiselli.
The 2021 edition of the award is upon us and this year the judging panel is chaired by award-winning poet Roger Robinson whose latest collection is A Portable Paradise’. He is supported by writer and editor Sinead Gleeson and novelist and short story writer Jon McGregor.
This panel was announced alongside the longlist for the prize and here are the Africans, including those in the Caribbean, and the Americas;
- Just Us – Claudia Rankine (Allen Lane)
- The Geez – Nii Ayikwei Parkes (Peepal Tree Press)
- The Mermaid of Black Conch – Monique Roffey (Peepal Tree Press)
- Poor – Caleb Femi (Penguin)
- The Actual – Inua Ellams (Penned In The Margins)
- My Darling from the Lions – Rachel Long (Picador)
The shortlist will be announced on February 10 and the winner revealed on March 24.