The winners for the African Writers Awards 2020 were announced at the African Writers Conference in Lusaka, Zambia on November 7, 2020.
The African Writers Awards were conceived by the African Writers Development Trust to shed a light on some of the best emerging writing talents on the continent. The winners in the past have been Manu Herbstein, Maryhilda Ibe, Chiamaka Onu-Okpara, and Benson Mugo in 2018 and Eme Ogbu, Temani Nkalolang, Andrea B Matambo, and Priscillar Matara in 2019.
The 2020 edition was judged by Anthony Onugba (Nigeria) the chair alongside Sabah Carrim (Mauritius), Henry Joe Sakala (Zambia), Nahida Esmail (Tanzania), Benny Wanjohi (Kenya) and Namse Udosen (Nigeria). The winners were announced as part of the African Writers Conference that happened in Lusaka, Zambia in November.
The winners in the various categories and the prize money they go home with is;
African Writers Awards for Creative Non-Fiction ($100)
- Each Little Win – Oladejo Oluyemisi – Nigeria
African Writers Awards for Drama ($100)
- Who Knows Amanda? – Asoloko Gloria Akayi – Nigeria
African Writers Awards for Poetry ($100)
- Ode to The Blackbird (Haiku) – Duru Nneka Joyce – Nigeria
Wakini Kuria Award for Children’s Literature (1st place $100, 2nd place $75, and 3rd place $50)
- Scared Little Boy – Madeha Ezekial Malecela – Tanzania
- Sophie What Do You Say? – Blessing Aliyu Tarfa – Nigeria
- Hessy and The Lost Tooth – Halieo Motanyane – Lesotho