Welcome to African Literary Podcast Episode 7 where we give you news from the African literary scene. As we have done previously, we look at new books to check out, news from the awards scene, literary festivals, and callouts for writers. We wrap it up with an interview I conducted with South African writer Mohale Mashigo on the side lines of the Time of the Writer in Durban South Africa in March.
Michael K by Nthikeng Mohlele which is a response to JM Coetzee’s classic masterpiece, Life & Times of Michael K. Haven’t read the original so I’m really struggling with this book.
- Sue Nyathi whose debut novel The Gold Diggers is out now.
- Blackbird books Lerato Mogoatlhe travel memoir Vagabond out in September 2018.
- Fiction writer Nathaniel Z. Mpofu, nonfiction writer Pofela Ndzozi, and poet ASA won big at the Bulawayo Arts Awards 2018.
- Chike Frankie Edozien is Lambda Literary Awards 2018 winner.
- Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2018 winners announced – Self Published is South African Nompumelelo Mowebu for Through The Eyes of an Africa Chef and African Cuisine Motswana Ednah Rosen for Taste of Botswana.
- GT Bank’s Dusty Manuscript Prize 2018 longlist announced.
- Sigana International Storytellers Festival 2018 wraps up.
- 4th Niyi Osundare International Poetry Festival 2018 happened in Ibada, Nigeria with Tunji Olaopa giving the keynote address.
- Nii Ayikwei Parkes keynote address at the Bare Lit Festival 2018. Read the keynote which speaks.
- Short Story Day Africa 2018 submissions now open.
- Tendai R Mwanaka call out for Zimbolicious Anthology Volume 3 (Zimbabwe only).
South African writer Mohale Mashigo talks about her work on her novel The Yearning, how she got to work on South Africa’s first comic superhero Kwezi, writing a book from a movie as well as a few writers she recommends.