Its finally here. After many moons, the inaugural Rwandan Anthology known as the The Huza Press Short Story Award will be awarded at a glittering ceremony in Kigali on Saturday at 6pm. September 4 will be a good time to be in the Rwandan capital to see some of the most exciting new writers from the East African country.
Those in the running for the US$1,000 first prize include;
- Containers by Clarisse Baleja Saidi
- Nomansland by Dayo Ntwari
- I am Leaving you Today by Jean-Claude Mihire
- Come Back Home by Anis Ndayisaba
- The Little Red Car at the Gusaba by Eva Gara
- Versus by Daniel Rafiki
- It’s Me, Just Me by Corneille Mbarubukeye
- Of Fear and of Guilt by Darla Rudakubana
- The Girls by Charity Agasaro
- Impanga by Akaliza Gara
While the winner will be going away with some good cash, the others don’t really go away empty handed. They will be mentored on their stories by some of the biggest names in African literature like Shadreck Chikoti, Juliane Okot Bitek, Jennifer Makumbi and Taiye Selasie.
So there you have it. Those who will be in Kigali should head to the Century Park in Nyarutarama at 6pm this Saturday to check out the action. What action you ask? Literature, music, food and so much more!
Be there or be square (Yes, I went there).