The good people at Huza Press Prize for Fiction 2016 have announced those in the running for the ultimate prize in Rwandan writing. The shortlist of ten writers was chosen by judges Paula Akugizibwe, Zukiswa Wanner, Richard Ali, and Felwine Sarr.
The best story would get a cash reward of US$1,000 and the best ten will be mentored by some of the best writers on the continent. All of them will participate in regional literary festivals, think Writivism, Storymoja et al.
The writers who made the shortlist, in particular order, are
- Safe – Dominique Uwase Alonga
- Sum of all Good Things – Isaac Barclay
- Echoes of love – Raissa Kamaliza
- October – Alfonsina Kayitesi
- Spilled Beans – Mutsinzi Eric
- Alone in the Dark – Rutwaza Ganza Leon Leandre
- Three-Ringed Silver Ring – Rwabahizi Arnaud
- Araje – Landry Ndoli Subira
- Inoni – Denyse Umuhuza
- Beyond Repair – Lucky Grace Isingizwe
The winner will be announced at a colourful ceremony later in the year.