The Golden Baobab Prize 2018 longlist has been announced today on December 7, 2018. The longlist features twelve African children’s authors and illustrators from six countries across the continent.
The Golden Baobab Prize is an award that celebrates outstanding African writers and illustrators of children’s literature. Established in 2008, it honours unpublished manuscripts and illustrations for children that reflect the diversity of life, experiences, and cultures across the African continent. It offers cash prizes as well as publishing opportunities to outstanding entries. Previous winners include Lori-AnnPreston and Vennessa Scholtz (2016) as well as MaryOnonokpono, Xanele Puren, and Portia Dery (2014).
The Golden Baobab Prize invited entries of unpublished stories and illustrations by African citizens irrespective of age, race, gender or country of origin. This year, the Prize received over 300 new and original stories and illustrations from 17 African countries. The jury, made up of prominent international publishing and literary professionals, went through a rigorous process to evaluate this year’s entries.
The 2018 Golden Baobab Prize Longlist was for picture books, early chapter books and African illustrators. The longlist announced included;
The Golden Baobab Prize for Picture Books.
- Adeola Adeyemo, Nigeria – The Clock Can’t Jump Through Time.
- Thandazile Sakhile Mpofu, Zimbabwe – Think Before You Act, Kuku!
- Sharon Salu, Nigeria – Koko’s Head.
- Marie Pelagie Elimbi Moudio, Cameroon – The Water Festival.
The Golden Baobab Prize for Early Chapter Books.
- Warũgũrũ Mũchĩra, Kenya – Akinyi.
- David Kwakye, Ghana – Keeper of the Gates.
- Ayo Oyeku, Nigeria – The Era of the Afrocubs.
- Lorna Likiza, Kenya – Oi Gets Lost.
The Golden Baobab Prize for African Illustrators.
- Charles Achibi, Nigeria – twitter.com/charlesachibi.
- Precious Narotso, Kenya – twitter.com/pndraws.
- Henry Ezeokeke, Nigeria – artstation.com/henryartist.
- Elizabeth Jeffery, South Africa – www.greenorebooks.co.za.
The winners of the Golden Baobab Prize will be announced on December 15th, 2018.